Sunday, August 19, 2012

What's in a name?

I am going to try to revive this 'ol blog of mine.  I have had so many things going on in my head, but just couldn't get them on "paper."  I know what you're thinking, "this is a post about how a person "fits" their name, or why they were given a name."  Well, I'm sorry to say you are incorrect.  This is just something I haven't been able to let go, so I thought it must be worthy of a post.  We'll see.

Anyway, I overheard a conversation last week between a father and his son.  It was slightly disheartning.  I don't know this particular family very well yet, and may be a little presumptuous in my thoughts.  I'll give a quick version.  This boy made a comment about someone calling him a name, and his father said something to the affect of "I'm glad I don't call you that."  The son went on to say to his father that he did call him a name.  Mind you, this is not even a word I use, let alone call my child it.  Well, the step-mom went on to tell him what the word means, but we all know the father never intended that to be the purpose behind the name.  To end the conversation (or atleast what portion I heard) his father went on to say that his son was too sensitive and needed to stop taking him to heart.


That's the part that got me.  Here is this boy basically asking his dad not to call him a certain name, and his father tells him to stop being sensitive.  Let me ask, is it okay to call someone a name as long as it doesn't hurt their feelings?  This is a conversation I had with my husband last week.  I have been told that I am too sensitive to other peoples thoughts and opinions.  Another question, do I need to stop being sensitive and feeling hurt, so that the other person can have the freedom to state their thoughts?



As someone who is sensitive and hurt rather easily, I tend to bite my tongue when I sometimes so desperately want to say something.  Something I know could/would hurt someone else.  I can't imagine deliberately bringing pain to another individual.  And then, telling them to stop being sensitive to my hurtful words. 


I just wish people understood the power of words.  Both good and bad.  They can have a lasting impression on someone, and I'll add, if said enough those words could start to be believed.

Maybe we do need to be less sensitive, not to give others "freedom of speech" but because we as christians aren't to fear others, only God.  In other words, it's only important what God thinks of me and not others.  Right?  Then why do we take it to heart?

Maybe the kids have it right.  "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts, good questions. You got me thinking, that's for sure...

    Welcome Back!! ;)

    ReplyDelete