Wednesday, December 7, 2011

the Word Wednesday

Hi friends.  I hope you'll forgive me for getting this posted so late.  My day got away from me, but I've been burdened to get this written.
I haven't been able to get my mind off of the birth of Jesus.  I might have mentioned last week that Luke 2 is one of my favorite passages of scripture, so I decided to stay put this week.  Just might for the month of December. 

Luke 2:6-7
And while they were there, the time came for her baby to be born.  She gave birth to her first child, a son.  She wrapped him snugly in strips of cloth and laid him in a manger, because there was no lodging available for them.

So much comes to mind when I read these verses.  Mary was far away from home.  She had been riding a donkey for days and was now asked to deliver her baby in a stable.  Oh how I wish I could have been there.  I try to imagine that is was a peaceful quiet softly lit place, when really I'm sure it was just opposite.  I'm sure the ground was hard and I'm sure she screamed from the pain.  And I can only imagine the smells and the noises coming from the animals.  It could have been dark and maybe cold.  I'm sure she wished she had more than strips of cloth to wrap her baby.  I'm sure she used the best of what was available to her.  This is all so different than how we have given birth.  And yet, He was our savior.  Such a humble way to make His presence.  Yes, I sure wish I could have been there.  It has made the Christmas story all the more special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment